Saturday, January 24, 2009

I can't believe it.

So The other day I went to Coltons first band concert, I have to tell you, I think I needed to blog about what I have been thinking about this kid lately.
It is funny to watch him sometimes, mostly because I am in awe about him getting older. Mitch said something to me the other day and it was about how in 5 years he will be going into his grade 12 year and that kinda freaked me out. I know that I do not have the oldest kids in the world, but for any parent it is always weird when their first one turns any age..1, 5,8, 10..You always think.."WOW I can't believe my baby is 5" or whatever. Anyway, Colton will be 12 in Aug, he gets the priesthood, he is officially in J.R high, he will be 2 years from his learners, I almost can't even deal! I have a really hard time letting my kids go I think, I get sad when I think about them getting older and growing up. Don't get me wrong there are so many things I love about it but....watching them loose the innocence of childhood has been hard.

Let me tell you a few things about Colton. He was seriously the BEST kid, he was the sweetest, kindest, behaved, patient, laid back, never threw tantrums or fits for that matter, and just did as he was told and aimed to please all the time he was just a good kid...And of course it was credited to my wonderful parenting....nothing to do with his personality. My mom used to tell me I didn't know what it was like having a kid because he was so abnormally good. I LOVED that kid.
Well he is growing up and he is turning into a teenager, not sure how to explain that one till you go through it yourself but seriously!!!!!!!! COlton is still a great kid but he is defiantly a little less innocent and a little less doing what he is told the first time...its more like the 12th time and my voice has gone from gentle to um ...not so much....I really never thought it would happen to COlton, we was always going to be sweet and perfect forever..but it happens to them all, its just the way it is. The sweet boy is still there just sometimes the teenager comes out in him.

Anyway to get to the point. He had his first band concert the other night and he was soooooo cute, he had a little solo and he took it so seriously that it was so adorable to watch. They did a great job and I was almost in tears. I am lame I know but this was my baby, this was the kid I used to wipe his dirty little face and wipe his tears and kiss him good night while he would say, "I love you mommy" Now he is playing in the band and hauling chairs around for the people who were standing along the wall, so they had some where to sit. Didn't I just have my first band concert???? so weird for me. Not to mention that he is playing basketball now too and is a good little player, he is a fast little nugget and one of the top scorers on the team. And I know I am his mom so of course I think he is the most amazing..But that kid is crazy, he is seriously good at everything he does. Every sport he plays he is one of the best players, and he is just a little guy, he is not very big for his age but he can play any sport like he has played for years. And he is smart, he gets good grades without ever trying..stinking kid!! and he is musical, he can sing and he is zooming through piano, and he does very well in band, and he loves it to boot, and he can draw very well, and he is a nice kid ,he really is and lots of people tell me, I have had phone calls from teachers telling what a nice boy he is. Sometimes they tell me is is too quiet but hey, better that then loud and disruptive, Which makes me happy because no matter how much of a rotter he may be at home at least for other people he is behaving.. I am so glad my kids have talents, I was worried since I lack in the talent area I am glad they got an abundance of them. I figure that is what must have happen to mine, they must have just been saved up so my kids could have them and I am happy to make that sacrifice. I know this is probably a brag blog but I need to step back once in awhile and remember that I love them because I no longer have those little babies, the little ones that are so cute you just want to eat them up. Mine are older now and getting .....well.....less cute, still great kids, still cute faces.... just not oooshy mooshy cute. More go to your room and think about what you did cute.... ;)



Anyway I wrote all this because I just am sad watching them grow, I am finding it hard to let go, to let my son be grown up and do his thing without me, without needing me. His friends are what is important now and I am OK with that, I know he still loves me. But its still crazy to see him grow to a young man and not my little guy anymore....No more, I had a bad dream can I sleep with you, no more I need a band aide on odd areas of my body that really have no reason to wear one but they are so cool, no more crawling on my lap and saying to me when I am sick, I will take care of you mommy here is my kisses to make you feel better. No more "I hert my flum" (this is I hurt my thumb in translation) and my kisses don't fix everything anymore.

Now I have running in the door yelling at me that he is going to his friends house and he will be back at 5, or leaving for school at 8 in the morning to go play basket ball, and asking me why girls have to come in the gym and sit on the stage and cheer for him because he just thinks it is annoying. And "what can I have to eat because I am sooo Hungary I am going to starve to death" even though we ate dinner a hour ago, and the phone calls from girls that he hates!! lol.....Such is life and I will deal with it, and maybe by the time I get to the youngest I will have got over it and it will just be the way it is. Although I still think I will cry when Macey starts school.....It will be a glorious moment but still one of about 1 day of tears.



Anyway I just posted a few pictures of Colton through the years, they aren't the best ones since most of his are scrap booked but this is what I had....Sorry no photos of his band concert forgot our camera...Maybe I will get basketball ones up but anyway.....



Not sure what happened here it got out of order but oh well....COlton turns 5, I made his cake, he wanted a baseball Field so I tackled it and he was thrilled....I can pull some pretend talent out of my hat once in awhile and surprise even myself.

This is me and MItch right after we had him investigating him......So brand new.



This is Colton 1 month old


Colton is 16 months here.



This is Colton 3 years old, he was sooooooo cute, I should have known he would be trouble with the girls then

This is Colton at 6 on valentines obviously.
I love this picture, I wanted them to stand next to each other and they were complaining..they were not going to put their arms around each other, that would be just sooo embarrassing~But they are both saying "mommmmm" Colton is 8 here and Bailey 6.





COlton in a baseball pic, he is 9. He loves baseball, his favorite!
And here is Colton last year after ice fishing with his dad, with his shaggy hair that he loves, even though his dad made his cut it this year.




ANd here is the most recent, I thought this was a good one, he is now old and sitting on the couch playing his PSP, like boys his age do....video games..argghhhhh~!!!!!! he is teaching Blake the fine art of gaming, Marin will be happy he got coached so in a few years he will be ready to be a pro too...Marin you will be sooo proud.







Anyway, that's all...Just needed to get my sadness out about my children growing up and not needing me anymore....I am just glad they are growing into nice young adults and hope they always have a desire to be the best they can be. And I hope that I have not ruined then too much!!!! till another day...... I am sorry my blogs are always so long, I try every time to shorten them so I don't get complaints but it never works..I am just long winded I guess.......Jana








8 comments:

henline crew said...

I'm the first one to comment, I know your so excited. I love that picture of colton and Bailey. It's hilarious. And the one where he's 3, I can see a resemblence to Jared. Different eyes obviously. The girls who watch him playing basketball and he thinks thats annoying, that is flippin hilarious. I can totally see him coming home and saying that. So funny. I remember him being little and staring at the roof when you talk to him. Ah sweet colton.

Alison said...

This one makes me happy and sad! Happy because I love your long posts (I've learned to go get a snack before I start reading) and sad because I don't know him (yet!) and have missed out on so much :( He does sound like a great kid and I totally get the whole - Crap! You're growing so fast and needing me less and couldn't you just slow down a minute??? - kinda thing. It also is a heads up thing for me too cuz Cy is right behind him. I know I will cry and cry when he doesn't want me to sing him bedtime songs anymore. And I will call you and you can cry with me :) love you...

Francis Family said...

I definately have to have time when I come read your blog! haha But I love it cuz i'm the same way, I could go on forever sometimes about how wondeful my life is and how awesome of a mom I am! haha I totally agree with you on how fast they grow, I am just starting out with my kids but I can't imagine them in 5 years! Your kids are so cute by the way!

Stephanie said...

You will be SO PROUD OF ME! I read your WHOLE blog.. no skipping or skim reading this time. I am a true bff I know.
I remember Colton and Bailey when they were 8 & 6.. we used to hang then, almost neighbors.. sigh where did those days go?
He still is a great kid and always will be, but really you have to rebel in some way!!
I love his shaggy hair. Mitch should have let him keep it!

The Blandon's said...

Awwwwwww, Colton - Me-me. Those were the days! He was such a sweet kid! Blake reminds me a lot of Colton that way - sometimes. Maybe not AS sweet as Colton.
Man, I wish I lived closer. I hate missing your kids growing up.
I love the shaggy hair too.

Catherine said...

you know where he got his talents???? aaahhh....from his talented aunt! hheeellllooo?!! it was from hanging out with me so much when he was younger - it was bound to rub off on him somehow.

Catherine said...

ps. don't forget - i'm your favorite

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs. So honest and personal. I've been feeling these sorts of things lately with my daughter. She's only gonna be 8 this summer, but it's just crazy the change in her whole personality that I'm noticing already. And even in our relationship. I have been struggling with it lately also. Weird.

She even said to me the other day. "Mama, do you notice that my voice is changing?"

I'm like... huh?? lol

And she says, "You know, I talk a little differently now."

And she does!!! Like more mature. It's weird. And annoying. And life.